Happy Valentine’s Day! Tomorrow we celebrate the love we share for our significant others, our families and our friends. Whether you’re single, dating or married, you can give the most romantic Valentine’s Day gift by giving back to your community. Check out 14 altruistic ways to celebrate this special day.
1. Send a love letter. This Valentine’s Day, spread the love by sending a love letter… not just to your partner, but to other people and organizations in your life that you value. Tell them why they matter, what they mean to you, and how much you love them.
2. Run a charity race. Many organizations local and national sponsor Valentine’s Day races to raise money. Get in shape and give back at the same time by signing up to run for love.
3. Spread some (animal) love. Animals need love too this Valentine’s Day. Check out your local animal shelter to see if any volunteers are needed, or just spend some time loving the animals in need. Who knows? You may even find one to fall in love with and take home.
4. Buy organic. Love the environment by making Earth-conscious choices this week and for the future. If you’re buying flowers for your sweet honey-bun, try buying fresh organic at your local market. Not only will you love the Earth a little more, but you also support the community.
5. Donate blood. January may have been National Blood Donor Month, but that doesn’t mean the love has to stop there. Donate at a local or national drive to really get your heart pumping.
6. Choose fair-trade. Buying fair-trade goods not only ensures great quality for your Valentine, but also helps support small business owners. Whether it’s chocolate, jewelry or a Valentine’s card, you’d be surprised at the things you can find in the world of fair-trade.
7. Remember our military. This Valentine’s day, don’t forget to remember our military men and women serving overseas who aren’t able to spend the day with loved ones. Send a package, letter or goods their way to show them you care.
8. Help your neighbor. One easy way to show love this week is to help a neighbor or community member in need. A little effort goes a long way to show you care.
9. Date for charity. Are you single this Valentine’s Day, but still looking for that special someone? Get involved and find a local speed-dating for charity event in your community to meet your potential love and help give back.
10. Clean your closet. Start spring cleaning early by going through your closet now and donate unnecessary items to those in need this Valentine’s Day.
11. Support disaster relief. With so many struggles around our nation, show you care this week by finding a cause to support disaster relief needs in your community and beyond.
12. Give a meal away. Staying in on Valentine’s Day? Why not double your efforts and put together a meal to donate to a local foodbank? Not only will you enjoy your night in, but you can be sure you made someone else’s night even more special.
13. Volunteer locally. Want to really wow your significant other with a date night? Volunteer together for a local cause to show your love for each other and the community.
14. Donate your date night. Finally, go all out for Valentine’s Day this year and donate your date night. Take the money you would have spent on a night out and give back to The Spastic Paraplegia Foundation to see the impact you can make.
This Valentine’s Day, give love to others by living an altruistic lifestyle and giving back. Try out some of these Valentine’s Day tips to truly see love blossom in your life.
In 2015 almost a dozen HSP Patient Advocacy Organizations from all over the world met in Madrid Spain to join forces to establish an international connection and resource to make sure a first rate, well established and impeccable HSP Patient Registry is set up. This will allow our next Clinical Trials to go forward smoothly and effectively. Good communication channels have also been established so as to allow for a smooth flow of information among scientists and organizations such as The Spastic Paraplegia Foundation.
When Clinical Trials begin in 2017 it may require as many people as possible for the Clinical Trial to be effective. If you have HSP or PLS, please add your information to our data base so we can keep you informed. We are missing a lot people's email address, so if you just want to add your email address. just enter your name, address and email and we'll add it. That way, we will be able to reach you quickly at a lower cost. Your privacy is very important to us. We will never share any of your information with any individual or company without your permission.
93 cents of every dollar you donate goes into our mission of research and service. 4 cents goes to fundraising and 3 cents goes to data management and general expenses. Our all volunteer Scientific Advisory Board makes sure that we are supporting only the very best research projects on the planet. The Spastic Paraplegia Foundation is an all volunteer run foundation. Our highly skilled staff, Scientific Advisory Board, Medical Advisors, CPA, Attorney, President, Board Members - all of us are working hard every day probono because we strongly believe in this cause. We know a cure is right within reach and we ask you to please join us in reaching by making a tax deductible donation.